Find best Fertilizer for Persimmon Fruit Tree after reading this guide. To get the juicy and soft-ripened fruit from the persimmon tree, it is necessary to choose and apply the best fertilizer for persimmon fruit trees.
Persimmons are not a true fertilizer loving plant, but each fruit plant needs fertilizer at some critical stages. Similarly, persimmon needs a supply of balanced fertilizer to produce healthy fruitings.
To ease you in choosing the persimmon tree fertilizer, without wandering in the huge market of fertilizers, I built this guide on the persimmon fertilizers that really works for my persimmon trees.
The great thing about this guide is that after reading this guide you will be able to grow your persimmons in a quite healthy way, as all the aspects like irrigation, fertilizers, pruning and persimmon tree care are well described.
So let’s get started.
- 1 Persimmon tree
- 2 Fertilizing Persimmon Trees
- 3 Types of persimmon fertilizers
- 4 Reviews: Best Fertilizer for Persimmon Fruit Tree
- 4.1 1. Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer, 20-20-20 Fertilizer
- 4.2 2. J R Peters 52024 Jacks Classic No.1.5 20-20-20 All Purpose Fertilizer
- 4.3 3. Grow More 5010 All Purpose Fertilizer 20-20-20
- 4.4 4. Lilly Miller All Purpose Planting And Growing Food 10-10-10
- 4.5 5. Jobe’s Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer
- 4.6 6. Southern Ag PowerPak 20-20-20 Water Soluble Fertilizer w/micronutrients
- 4.7 7. Dr. Earth 708P Organic 9 Fruit Tree Fertilizer In Poly Bag
- 5 When is the Best Time for Persimmon Tree Feeding?
- 6 How much fertilizer does a persimmon need?
- 7 Persimmon tree care
- 8 Types of persimmons fruits
- 9 How often to water persimmon tree
- 10 How fast does a persimmon tree grow
- 11 How to prune persimmon tree
- 12 Never use nitrogen rich fertilizer for persimmon
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Final Verdict
Persimmon tree (genus Diospyros) is an edible fruit tree having a large number of species of trees. The most grown species are:
- Oriental persimmon (Diospyros kaki)
- American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana)
Fruit of persimmon has versatile colours to shape depending on the species and have versatility in size of fruit too. Colour of the ripened persimmon varied from light orange-yellow to dark orange-red.
Fruits are a pack of nutritious elements that are rich in glucose, balanced protein, and additionally, possess chemical and medicinal uses.
It is a true berry plant but not considered a common berry like tomato.
Fertilizing the persimmon tree makes the plant to thrive in all directions with boosted shoot growth, having the ability to produce fruit on each branch.
Fertilizing Persimmon Trees
Gardeners are generally advised to fertilize the plants in early stages when they are planted. However, in the case of persimmon trees, that fact proves totally different.
Persimmon is advised to not fertilize them at the time of planting, due to the hypersensitivity of the tree at planting time and it will burn the plant.
The best way to decide if plants need to fertilize is by observing the condition of the tree. Two major things are observed prior to fertilizing persimmon:
- If the shoots are showing stunted growth and not growing more than 1 feet growth per year than it’s time to fertilize.
- If leaves of persimmon have light green colored leaves then dark green leaves, then it’s time to fertilize the tree to get dark foliage.
It is suggested by experts of gardening that persimmons can be fertilized with any balanced nutrients source like 10-10-10 fertilizer or 16-16-16 fertilizer.
Types of persimmon fertilizers
Organic fertilizers include alfalfa meal, kelp, seaweed extracts, fish emulsion manures. All of these organic nutrients sources are added to plants in early spring.
Compost is another form of organic fertilizer with long lasting results, in the form of improving soil quality and plant health. It can be added any time from early spring to the mid of summer.
Organic fertilizers mitigate the excessive nitrogen problems in the form of excessive vegetative growth.
- Fish emulsion, kelp, and seaweed extracts perform best by early spring application.
- Compost gives the required results by applying a mulch layer in the active growing season.
In the case of fertilizing the persimmons tree with chemical sources, any balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 or 16-16-16 or 20-20-20 can be applied to ensure production and growth of the fruit tree.
Never use any nitrogen-rich fertilizer for persimmon trees otherwise you will get more vegetative growth than fruit growth.
Reviews: Best Fertilizer for Persimmon Fruit Tree
1. Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer, 20-20-20 Fertilizer
Jacks 77010 is a professional grade fertilizer for feeding persimmon trees. It is a perfect match for meeting the nutrient needs of the persimmons.
The nutrient composition of this plant food is quite well for maintaining the dark green foliage and optimal blooming and fruiting.
NPK ratio in this plant food is 20-20-20 that ensures the equal supply of all nutrients to the plant.
It speeds up the foliar expansion and facilitates the persimmon growth in all aspects.
The balanced percentage of phosphorus and potassium maintains the excellent growth of roots and shoots.
- 20-20-20 fertilizer for fruits
- Maintains root and shoot growth
- Promotes green up foliar expansion
- Facilitates fruits development
- Some people may don’t like its smell
2. J R Peters 52024 Jacks Classic No.1.5 20-20-20 All Purpose Fertilizer
It is a professional grade 20-20-20 fertilizer made from the finest raw materials. Better dissolvement and fewer cakes make it a better choice for persimmon fertilization.
The chelated formula of this plant food exactly matches the need of persimmons to improve the performance.
It has better performance on all indoor and outdoor plants, trees and vegetables.
The great thing about this food is an easy application as by leaves and roots. The balanced formula allows the rapid leaf expansion and fast green-up foliage.
- Improves the vegetative and reproductive health of persimmon
- Provides many micronutrients like B, Cu, Mn and Mb
- NPK ratio is 20-20-20 that is exactly similar to persimmon needs
- Promotes the root and shoot growth
- Fast up the leaf expansion
- No cons found, performs great on all plants
3. Grow More 5010 All Purpose Fertilizer 20-20-20
Grow More all-purpose fertilizer is another 20-20-20 fertilizer that gives great results on persimmons and all other fruit plants.
It is a premium grade plant food that contains the high analysis formula for all types of the greenhouse, agricultural and field crops.
It is recommended by EZ-FLO injection systems to apply them to crops by fertilizer injections.
This continuous releasing, water-soluble fertilizer can be applied both by soil and foliar applications. It supplies 237 ppm of nitrogen by spraying 1 pound in 100 gallons of water.
It is applied as a 1 tablespoon per gallon of water for spraying purposes.
Persimmons show shiny results in their boosted growth and plentiful blooms in next season by applying this balanced plant food.
You should give it a try on persimmons to get the tasty and soft fleshed persimmon fruits.
- Provides continuous release nutrients
- Can be applied both by soil and foliar
- High analysis formula for persimmons
- Improves the blooming in persimmons
- Plentiful fruits produced by applying this food
It needs more water for solubilizing the food otherwise it will remain on soil surface
4. Lilly Miller All Purpose Planting And Growing Food 10-10-10
Lilly Miller all-purpose 10-10-10 fertilizer is a premium grade food for fertilizing persimmons. It is among the specially made fertilizers for fruit plants like persimmons that need balanced nutrients.
The shiny feature of this product is the fast-acting performance and slow-releasing for lush and steady growth. The concentrated ingredients in this fertilizer improve the concentration of the nutrient in the root zone of persimmons.
The great thing about its application is that it does not need any assembly which means that it is ready to apply a fertilizer that acts just after its application.
- 10-10-10 fertilizer
- Fast-acting ingredients
- Slow releasing of nutrients works for steady growth
- Made in the USA
- Easy to apply as no assembly required
Slow releasing feature may not good for dying plants
5. Jobe’s Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer
Jobe’s Organics is an organic fertilizer for persimmon fruit trees. It is a premium grade fertilizer for everyday gardeners and organic gardeners.
This fast acting fertilizer is a great option for all types of fruit plant and citrus fertilizer ; new planted or established.
The great thing about this product is that it is certified with OMRI listed products by USDA. It ensures that it has no synthetic chemicals that could harm the plants.
Jobe’s Biozome is the premium feature of this plant food that helps to improve the soil conditions for newly planted persimmon plants and improves the disease resistance in elder plants lately.
This organic food is specially formulated for persimmons, nut fruits and citrus plants and pays back in the form of huge loaded fruits on trees.
- Persimmon organic fertilizer
- USDA certified food having no chemical
- Improves the soil and fruit conditions
- Promotes the resistance to disease and pest attacks
- Lower nitrogen and high potassium ensures more fruiting over foliage
- Need to kept away from dogs reach as dog loves its smell
6. Southern Ag PowerPak 20-20-20 Water Soluble Fertilizer w/micronutrients
Southern Ag PowerPak is a micro nutrients enriched water soluble fertilizer for fertilizing the balanced nutrients loving plants.
This power pack is a great choice for feeding the persimmons when their leaves are dying or yellowing due to low nutrients availability.
The micro nutrients enriched in the fertilizer provides a better environment to the plants for establishing a healthy root system to get more nutrients from soil profile to plant for producing shiny and great sized fruits.
It works similar on all types of fruits, houseplants, roses, shrubs, hydrangeas, trees and shrubs.
- Provides all micronutrients for high quality fruit
- Best for all fruit plants and trees
- Provides 20-20-20 NPK to plants
- Water soluble feature provides easy application
- Promotes more blooms
- Use as directed on the package otherwise you will get your plants burn
7. Dr. Earth 708P Organic 9 Fruit Tree Fertilizer In Poly Bag
DR EARTH 708P Organic fruit fertilizer is a great addition to the persimmon fruit tree fertilizers. This non GMO plant food is made of 100% organic and natural ingredients.
The addition of chicken manure and sewage sludge in the food stimulates the healthy root development for promoting the healthier fruits.
The great feature of this product is that if it is applied as directed then there will be no need of applying chemical fertilizer to the plant in future and it will feed for months with a single application.
It contains probiotic strains of beneficial microbes that improve the soil structure and fertility and ultimately provides the nutrients rich soil profile around the plant’s root.
- Promotes the healthy root development
- Non GMO
- Contains mycorrhizae that improves soil structure
- Feeds for several months
- Promotes plant growth and foliage
- Great for persimmon fruiting
- Produce organic fruiting
- Little bad smell due to organic formulation and ingredients
When is the Best Time for Persimmon Tree Feeding?
Feeding of persimmons starts from a few years down the road. Most gardening experts suggest not fertilizing the persimmons at planting.
However, the persimmons perform best for fertilization when applied once a year that can either be late winter or early spring.
Some other gardeners suggest fertilizing them only during the spring growth flush season.
The best time to fertilize the persimmon is only when the mature leaves are going to pale colored and shoot growth is lowered.
But the main thing before fertilizing, the primary work is to find out the best fertilizer for persimmon fruit tree that works for your trees.
How much fertilizer does a persimmon need?
Knowing the amount of nutrients your trees need is the primary thing to save your plants from burning by over fertilizing. As each plant has its own unique fertilizer requirements.
The best way to calculate the fertilizer amount is by determining the tree’s trunk diameter with the help of measuring tape near the plant base and each of the diameter’s inches requires 1 pound of fertilizer.
To fertilize the persimmon with a balanced food like 10-10-10 fertilizer, the suggested amount is 1 to 2 cups. The feeding should be done in March, June and September in the first two years of planting.
Then, the feeding goes just two times in March and June. But always follow the directions provided on the package before using any product to protect the plants from leaf dropping.
Persimmon tree care
Care of persimmon trees starts from the very first stage of planting to the harvesting of fruits. It includes providing optimal conditions including soil, watering, pruning, fertilization and harvesting.
These are some tips for better care of persimmons:
- Persimmons grow best in well drained loamy soil having pH 6.0 to 7.5. Amending the soil with addition of compost and manures helps in improving soil structure and providing nutritional support to young newly planted ones.
- Pruning of persimmons starts from the planting stage till death of the plant. Cut the newly planted plants to 3 feet. During summer, when new growth reaches 4 inches, keep 6 to 8 branches only and remove all others.
- Irrigation of Fuyu persimmon trees is the critical point to keep them healthy. It needs 36 to 48 inches of water annually to prevent the leaf and fruit drop by drought.
- Fertilize the persimmons only when they need it. Balanced fertilizers are best performing food for persimmons during spring and late winter.
- Harvest time varies by persimmon cultivars. Fuyu persimmons are ready for harvest in October and November. Even the persimmon fruits are firm at picking but they bruise easily. Fruits can be stored at room temperature until they are soft and fully developed.
Types of persimmons fruits
Persimmons are classified into two classes on the basis of fruit type. Both of these classes or categories are true fruit of persimmon but have a little difference due to different cultivars.
This persimmon cultivar is a soft ripening fruit bearing variety, that produces a jelly like ripened fruit on ripening. These cultivars are mostly found in cooler regions.
Non astringent persimmon
Non astringent persimmons produce crispy fruits like apples on ripening. These cultivars need hot summers for on setting of fruiting but retains some astringency if grown in cooler regions.
How often to water persimmon tree
Watering is the basic need of every green plant but some are water loving and some consume water to remain alive.
Persimmons are among the classes that are not big water loving plants so it has the ability to withstand the shorter periods of drought.
Regular watering improves the quality and size of fruit but extreme drought conditions could cause premature fruit and leaves to drop.
How fast does a persimmon tree grow
American persimmon also known as common persimmon is a first rate choice for riparian planting, grows best in USDA zones 4 through 9.
Optimal growth rate of persimmon depends on the growing conditions in which it is planted. During the spring season, the moist soil improves the leaf growth and fruit development.
If the persimmon’s growing conditions are kept optimal, the maximum growth rate achieved per year is 24 inches.
Growth can be encouraged by staking the young persimmons for the first 2 to 3 years. Pruning in the dormant stage of the plant improves the new growth so lightly prunes the tree once per year.
Basic pruning includes the removal of diseased limbs and broken branches.
How to prune persimmon tree
A regular pruning schedule of all green plants helps in improving the structure of plants while reducing the alternate bearings.
But the basic thing to learn is how to prune the trees and plants. Similarly, pruning of persimmon trees is a necessary thing, not only for developing a defined shape to a tree but also for better fruit development.
Early spring and late winter is the ideal time for pruning of persimmons. All of the diseased branches are cut back to the main branches with the help of shear to promote the growth of the tree.
If the old branches are not removed, the weak branches could cause breakage if fruit bears.
To give the persimmon a defined shape, cut down the trees back to ½ high or 3 feet at the time of planting.
Never use nitrogen rich fertilizer for persimmon
Persimmon is not a fertilizer loving plant but it needs fertilizers for optimal growth and producing fruits.
Balanced fertilizers like 10-10-10 NPK or 20-20-20 fertilizers are found to be best performing for persimmons, so by adding the nitrogen rich fertilizer to persimmon, you are moving them towards death.
The accumulation of excessive nitrogen could lead to the leaf burning that could move to death of the tree.
Excessive nitrogen also lowers the fruiting of persimmon as nitrogen boosts the vegetative growth of plants and all of the food moves to foliage growth than fruits.
What is the best fertilizer for persimmon trees?
Persimmons love to grow by fertilizing with balanced nutrients. The best performing fertilizer food for persimmons are the balanced fertilizers like 10-10-10 fertilizer for fruit trees.
How do you take care of a persimmon tree?
The major aspect of persimmon is to keep them watered so as to protect them from drought effects. To keep them healthy and thriving, water the young plants until they are well established. Never fertilize the persimmons until they start new growth.
Do you need 2 persimmon trees to produce fruit?
Persimmons are both self and cross pollinated as the astringent cultivar “Hachiya” is a self fertile plant while other cultivars of persimmon are cross pollinated so need 2 persimmon trees to produce fruit.
How long does it take for a Fuyu persimmon tree to bear fruit?
Persimmon trees reach the fruit bearing age at 8 to 10 years. It remains producing the commercial fruit for 15 to 20 years after it reaches the full bearing capacity.
Do persimmon trees bear fruit every year?
All of the persimmon cultivars have different fruiting years. Oriental persimmons start blooming after five years but produce fruit after seven years. Grafted trees bloom within 2 to 3 years.
American and oriental persimmons have alternate years of blooming and fruiting.
A plant can never grow without a continuous supply of nutrients especially during the peak growth season. In case of persimmon trees, it is not a much nutrients loving plant but the supply of nutrients by fertilizers is necessary for keeping foliage healthy and dark green with better sized fruits.
To get the desired results, the primary thing is to get the best fertilizer for persimmon fruit tree that completely resembles the tree needs.
All of the persimmon fertilizers are added in our list that will make the trees thrive and bloom.
If you find this article informational and helpful, share it with your colleagues and friends on Twitter, Facebook and email.
Hi i am Waqar Zafar, a passionate plant pathologist. I have done graduation Plant pathology and animal science. My research papers on pest control and plant health phenomenon published in many journals. Research is not limited to some papers as agriculture and farming is a wide field so looking for suggestions from readers.