A Chinese and Japanese origin clematis brings true beauty to our lawns. It gets unbearable to see these signs of beauty burnt and even dull. They are heavy feeders so they require fertilizer aid to grow into bigger and stronger Vines.
To ease the fertilizing hunt for you I have gathered my favorite picks for clematis. Have a quick look so we can get into the details.
- 1 Best Fertilizer for Clematis
- 1.1 1. Jack’s classic all-purpose water-soluble plant food
- 1.2 2. Miracle-gro pour and feed plant food for container clematis
- 1.3 3. Dr. Earth total advantage organic rose and flower fertilizer
- 1.4 4. MicroLife Humates plus 0-0-4 All organic biological fertilizer
- 1.5 5. Miracle-Gro performance organics All-purpose plant nutrition granules
- 1.6 6. Schultz bloom plus fast-acting water-soluble plant food
- 1.7 7. Espoma organic flower-tone bloom booster for organic gardening
- 1.8 8. MicroLife hybrid 20-0-5 organic biological fertilizer
- 1.9 9. Ecoscrap rose and flower plant food
- 1.10 10. Jobe’s organics rose and flower granular plant food
- 1.11 11. Scotts rose and bloom continuous release plant food
- 2 Best fertilizer for clematis vines – Buyer’s guide
- 3 When to Fertilize a Clematis
- 4 FAQ’s
Best Fertilizer for Clematis
- Best Overall: Jack’s classic all-purpose water-soluble
- Best for the container: Miracle-gro pour and feed plant food for container clematis
- Fast in Action: Dr. Earth total advantage of organic rose and flower fertilizer
- Slow-release: MicroLife humates plus all organic biological fertilizer (0-0-4)
- Ready to Use: Miracle-Gro performance organics All-purpose plant nutrition granules
- Cheap in Price: Schultz bloom plus fast-acting water-soluble plant food
- Does not leach away: Espoma organic flower-tone bloom booster for organic gardening
- Biological: MicroLife hybrid 20-0-5 organic biological fertilizer
- Easy Application: Ecoscrap rose and flower plant food
- Improve Nutrient Absorption: Jobe’s organics rose and flower granular plant food
- Does not burn plants: Scotts rose and bloom continuous release plant food
1. Jack’s classic all-purpose water-soluble plant food
Jack’s classic all-purpose water-soluble plant food is being recommended for its rewarding nature. Quick green-up and leave expansion are the first noticeable signs of its work.
20-20-20 NPK (20% nitrogen, 20%phosphorus, 20% potassium) together with chelated copper, boron, chelated iron, iron, zinc, chelated zinc, chelated manganese molybdenum makes it decent fertilizer for clematis.
Jack’s classic fertilizer is equally beneficial for indoor and outdoor plants. For bountiful results, every seven to the fourteen-day application is recommended.
- Equally beneficial for indoor and outdoor plants
- Promotes green color and leave expansion
- A general all-purpose fertilizer
2. Miracle-gro pour and feed plant food for container clematis
This miracle-gro pour and feed plant food comes in a ready to use form. This ready to use plant food can be applied directly to the soil with the help of the measuring cup.
0.2-0.2-0.2 balanced formulation is thoughtfully made to meet the requirements of potted clematis. This instant solution keeps working for up to 2 weeks.
For best results, use it every seven to fourteen days. Read and follow the instructions written on the package to see expected results. Suitable for both indoor and outdoor potted clematis and other similar plants.
- Ready to use
- Feeds the potted plants instantly
- No mixing, no hard and fast measuring rules to follow
- Not for ground plants
- A bit expensive
- Suitable for small needs
3. Dr. Earth total advantage organic rose and flower fertilizer
The 5-7-2 handcrafted premium formula is a blend of micro and macronutrients. It’s proven to be a fast-working fertilizer for potted clematis, rose, and almost all flowering plants.
Cottonseed meal, fish meal, fishbone meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, sulfate, mined potassium, Seaweed extract, and soft rock phosphate are the main source of nutrition.
The enhanced probiotic feature breaks and releases the nutrients in the most beneficial way possible that helps in bringing faster results.
- Organic, handcrafted
- Contains micro and macronutrients
- Fast action
- Works for potted plants only
4. MicroLife Humates plus 0-0-4 All organic biological fertilizer
MicroLife humates plus fertilizer is a complete soil conditioner and a fertilizer. This 4lb bag contains all the necessary nutrients a soil needs to give birth to healthy plants and trees.
By doing its job, it takes care of the weed and water requirements. It contains potassium sulfate, Emery humates, Norwegian kelp, molasses, yucca wetting agent, and several other needed nutrients. It also helps in removing salts and toxins from the soil. Yucca, a wetting agent, makes a way for the nutrients to reach the roots.
This vitamin, mineral blend promotes stronger roots and boosts water infiltration and oxygen flow. Balanced formula minimizes the risk of fertilizer burns. It is made to bring a healthier change in turfgrasses, trees, shrubs, roses, azaleas, perennials, flowers, and vegetables.
It Can be used with other fertilizers to enhance the results. Contains no poultry manure and comes with detailed instructions.
- Safe and effective
- Improves soil condition
- Works for almost all garden plants alike
- Mild, do not burn
- Controls weed
- Enhances results when used with other fertilizers
- Rejuvenates roots and plants
- Reduces watering requirement
- Contains more microbes and minerals than most fertilizers
- Not con came to notice yet.
5. Miracle-Gro performance organics All-purpose plant nutrition granules
This 9-2-7 organic formula is known for showing results in just seven days. The ready-to-use shaker jug makes it easier to feed both in-ground and container plants.
Easy to use composition demands a dry application. For in-ground plants, it is recommended to mix the mixture into the ⅓ part of topsoil, and for potted plants, mix at least 2 tablespoons of the Miracle-Gro fertilizer in the upper part of the soil to bring bountiful results.
The organic nutrients go into the soil and create a healthy environment for the roots to establish a green plant. The jug cap design ensures easier and even nutrient distribution.
- Resolves several issues
- Boosts growth within 7 days
- Ready to use
- No mixing or hard and fast rules required to be followed
- Jug cap spreads the product evenly
- Some users have noticed fungus gnats after using this product.
6. Schultz bloom plus fast-acting water-soluble plant food
The lesser-known Schultz bloom plus fast-acting plant food is made for bigger beautiful blooms. Several reviewers claimed that they switched to this product for its cheaper price but the results astonished them so they are not stopping the use.
10-54-10 NPK helps in providing the energy required for the health and vigor of outdoor flowers, vegetables, fruit trees, and shrubs (even better for Begonias, Bougainvilleas, Lilly, Magnolia, and Clematis)
It contains all the necessary micronutrients required for supernatural growth. Believes in feeding once.
- Cheaper and even better than the expensive fertilizers
- Easy to follow instructions
- Water-soluble, fast-acting
- Hard to read the expiration date as it’s in Julian code
- Some buyers found the expired fertilizer online
7. Espoma organic flower-tone bloom booster for organic gardening
Espoma flower tone bloom booster is made for prolonged healthier blooms. No sludges, toxic and hazardous ingredients make it extremely safe to use in kids’ playgrounds, daycare centers, and public places.
For new plants, it is recommended to mix at least 4″ down and for well-established plants, feeding once a month(at least in the growing season) is enough to get the expected results.
This all-purpose fertilizer helps the weak, dead, and burnt (whether with frost or lack of nutrients) to recover and produce more flowers than leaves. The balanced bio-tone microbes work for both annuals and perennials alike.
- Does not leech away
- Equally beneficial for new and established plants
- It smells awful
8. MicroLife hybrid 20-0-5 organic biological fertilizer
MicroLife hybrid biological fertilizer is being recommended because it offers a complete nutritional solution. It promotes quick green-up and brings the soil to a healthier state.
It contains several minerals, vitamins, and stimulators that help in delivering carbon to the plant ecosystem. Mycorrhizal fungi, potassium sulfate, and emery humates together do wonders for the overall plant health.
Free from arsenic, steroids, antibiotics, and poultry manure. The frequent application helps in loosening clay soil, building stronger roots, and makes carbon available for the plant ecosystem.
- 100% slow release
- Safe for the soil and living things
- Does not burn
- Does not contain poultry manure
- No phosphorus content
9. Ecoscrap rose and flower plant food
Ecoscrap rose and flower plant food is a mixture of recycled human food waste. All-in-particle ensures clean, easy, and even application.
This 4-6-3 formulation works for the health and growth of annuals, perennials, and roses alike. As per the company’s claim, it does not contain poop.
It can be used as a health booster for azaleas, camellias, berry, citrus, avocado, tomato, herbs, and some vegetables. Like most fertilizer, it contains phosphorus. Check your local laws before making a purchase.
- Encourages faster growth
- Easy application
- Works for both in-ground and potted plants
- Reduces landfill waste
- Can be applied at the time of plantation
- Not a specific clematis fertilizer
- Toxic for pets
10. Jobe’s organics rose and flower granular plant food
Jobe’s organics becomes a part of the discussion for it’s outstanding results. It improves the plant’s drought and disease resistance. It works wonderfully well if applied in the manner suggested by the company.
Mycorrhizal fungi, healthy bacteria, and archaea break down the complex mineral and hydrocarbons to make it easy for the plants to take advantage of these beneficial ingredients. Besides that, it helps in adding root mass and improving the soil condition.
This certified organic product shows guaranteed results in just a few days. For best results, use the jobe’s organic rose and granular food at the time of soil preparation, plantation, and in the growing season (every 4 to 6 weeks).
- No synthetic material
- Improved nutrient absorption
- Safe for environment, kids, and pets
- Improves soil quality
- Gathered several positive reviews
- Comes with misleading instructions
11. Scotts rose and bloom continuous release plant food
Scotts rose and bloom continuous release fertilizer is on this list for several highly appreciated reasons. It suits the needs of clematis, rose, and several other flowering plants.
This continuous release formula keeps on supplying nutrients for up to 60 days. Easy to apply design requires only pouring it at least two to three inches deep in the ground.
It provides a long-lasting solution to commonly faced problems. 12,8-4 NPK, with a high nitrogen content it boosts plant metabolism and helps in growing taller, greener plants.
- Does not burn plants
- Safe and easy to use
- Works wonderfully well for clematis
- Low phosphorus content
Best fertilizer for clematis vines – Buyer’s guide
Finding a “one highly effective” solution for heavy feeders like clematis is a hard nut to crack. Like most trees, shrubs, and flowering plants clematis need nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and traces of some essential nutrients to grow well. To simplify the fertilizing hunt I have broken it down into a few cases for better understanding.
If the clematis vine is not blooming
If the clematis vines look fine but are not blooming as they should it’s better to invest in some bloom boosters like Espoma organic flower-tone bloom booster and Schultz bloom plus fast-acting water-soluble plant food.
If it’s weaker in the roots
If it’s not growing and spreading properly, it’s highly unlikely that their roots are strong so in such circumstances, Jobe’s organics rose and flower granular plant food and Miracle-Gro performance organics all-purpose plant nutrition granules would be better options.
If their growth is slow
The unavailability of nutrients is mainly the reason for slow growth. For this problem, a general organic health booster is enough to fast forward the growing process. MicroLife hybrid 20-0-5 organic biological fertilizer, deco scrap rose and flower plant food, and Schultz bloom plus fast-acting water-soluble plant food are not disappointing options.
If it looks dull
If the clematis is growing well and it’s blooming as per your expectations but it looks dull then you probably need to fix the watering schedule. If the watering schedule still hasn’t taken the dullness away then a mild organic fertilizer once a month would not be a terrible choice.
In general, organic slow-release or continuous-release fertilizers are always great for flowering plants as the flowers are usually growing around in public places so using toxic chemicals in such areas should be avoided.
Remember! You can only find the cure for the problem when you know what the problem is. Sometimes it gets difficult to identify the issue so before going on a fertilizing hunt it’s better to get the problem identified by a professional.
When to Fertilize a Clematis
Climatic is a vining shrub mostly grown in the United States. The regular and proper amount of fertilizer will encourage leafy vines. Adequate care and accurate food blooms in summer.
Clematis needs time to establish new sites and show less growth in the first year. As Clematis is hungry plant so fertilization will encourage root growth. Apply fertilizer in the first year of establishment.
Apply once a month to established plants. A balance of 10-10-10 fertilizer is the perfect dose for your plants.
Do not apply fertilizer during blooming because it can shorten blooms. Apply in fall to encourage root growth.
Use broad cost method to apply granular fertilizer. Keep this fertilizer 4 inches away from the base of the stem. Water after applying fertilizer. Apply early in the morning or in the evening.
Is Miracle Gro a good fertilizer for clematis?
Clematis plants need an adequate amount of fertilizer for better growth. They are heavy feeders and need constant feed for flowering. Even after two weeks of planting, you should apply any liquid fertilizer. Miracle-gro and fish emulsion are best after two weeks of planting.
When should I fertilize my clematis?
First after two weeks of planting, then once in a month for established clematis. Start in early spring till mid-summer. Always keep balance in an application or apply after reading recommendations. An amount of 10-10-10 with a tablespoon per square foot is the best to feed.
When should I fertilize my clematis?
Magnesium sulfate is best for foliage coloring issues. Most of the time clematis plants show yellow foliage due to a lack of magnesium. Clematis plants with yellow foliage need an adequate amount of Epsom salt. You can apply any other fertilizer with Magnesium sulfate.
Are coffee grounds good for clematis?
Clematis plants are heavy feeders and hungry among all flowering plants. They need a heavy amount of nutrients and essential ingredients. They need fertilizer from start to end of the season. You can apply the coffee ground to them in the same manner for flowers.
Clematis is a heavy feeder that requires fertilizers to grow. These were the few names that have brought healthy changes to the clematis vines (even though they are general fertilizers). All of them are great for the purpose they are made so it’s hard to name one. To find the right solution, you have to identify the problem first. If it’s hard to find the true issue I recommend you to take professional help.
I hope this article helps you. If it has brought some ease to you I think my job is done.
- Best Fertilizer For Desert Rose
- Best Fertilizer for Red Tip Photinia
- Best Fertilzier for Fig Trees
- Best Fertilizer for Magnolias
- Best Fertilzier for Podocarpus